Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Tale-ing Fragments #6: She Dreams + Varnished wood tutorial

"She dreams of faraway places and daring adventures.
Her eyes gleamed with the first step in the journey"

It's been a while since I made one of these fragmented story-collages, I had so much fun! Part of the fun in this particular project was the combination of using older technique-testers and the accidental discovery of a new technique - a yummy varnished wood look! (tutorial below).

What started me going was a Steampunk theme challenge in two blogs, the SanDee&amelie's challenge blog and the Simon Says Stamp challenge blog that also had a Steampunk theme (I actually missed the deadline for the later, so will be entering this work to the Anything Goes theme challenge Simon has on their Weds challenge 😅).

Like many of us these days, I've been at home a LOT, and I used some of this time to play with craft supplies, so I wanted to incorporate some of my trials in this piece. The large mosaic-like image in the back was done with the distress crackle-paste + embossing glazes technique shown by Tim Holtz & Stacy Hutchinson a couple of weeks back. The nautilus piece below is from playing with alcohol ink lifting. I did not expect them to work well together, but it's always a great surprise when that happens. I then picked a paper doll and found her story in my mind - doesn't she look like she'd be a great adventurer? Not the flashy kind, a clever time-traveler that can go, observe, learn and come back without causing a mess.
Clearly she needed a Steampunk\time machine.
My association of Steampunk includes, beside the industrial grunge, also the slick decorative Victorian style design that had polished wood and glass elements beside the iron and steel. I was thinking of how to get that polished wood effect when my eye caught my Distress embossing glazes - would it work? It did! I was so excited with the results I had to share them and some kind fellow crafters asked me for a tutorial - challenge accepted! And embedded below, but first, a few more details of this lovely adventurer and her machine:


I love how the stained gear fits with the nautilus pattern, in some angles it almost disappears!

Now for the promised tutorial:



This is my first attempt at making a video tutorial, so I hope it's clear enough...
If you have any questions about the video or anything else in the project please feel free :)

If you're looking for more inspiration take a look at these wonderful challenge blogs, they always have amazing inspiration and treasures in the entries
SASPC
SSS Wednesday Challenge
  
For now, a shiny farewell

xx

3 comments:

  1. Love your awesome idea and the very creative projekt, gorgeous!! Many thanks for sharing with us SanDee's and Amelies Steampunk Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love the SASPC, always thrilled to take part 🤎

      Delete
  2. I love stories and especially ones that are told as beautifully as yours! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome make with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete