Monday, June 15, 2020

Tale-ing Fragments #10: Challenge the World

Hi everyone,
I'm back with another Tale-ing Fragments collage, I'm really enjoying making these! What was interesting for me in making this one was how many layers I could combine in what ended up being pretty flat. The key and wing are the only elements with noticeable bulk, but there is still a lot of depth thanks to translucent  elements.


This close-up, for example, combines collage paper, stencil, washi tapes, stamping, heat embossing and a tiny film segment. All of these are translucent and create amazing depth just layered over each other. I love how they combine into new images and hint to the story.


I chose one of Tim Holtz's found relatives as the focal point and hero of our tale, and tinted the image. I love this guy, there's such strength and pride in his stance and kindness in his features. He also has great style, doesn't he? He seemed to me like someone ready to take on the world for what he believes in, hence the "challenge the world" title and the 'live your dream with passion' snippet.


Other parts add to his story, the typewriter and 'how to hold a pen' snippet I highlighted with embossing glaze suggest a writer, and goes with the 'tell the story' snippet at the bottom. A journalist? A novelist?



His story includes many elements, calling for freedom and for love, "where there's great love, there are always miracles". The 'she' in the keyhole was completely unplanned, by the way. I was testing different placings for for the keyhole and the opening just framed the word perfectly :)
The key, keyhole and wing balance each other in the composition and work as hints for our hero's story. I leave it to you to decide how, thinking of the different stories these elements can tell is part of the fun don't you think?

You can see the making process of the collage in this video:


This is a focus video showing the whole process of tinting the focal photo (I had to cut it in the collage making video but thought some might be interested in seeing the whole thing):



I'm submitting this collage to the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge for their "it's a man thing" theme.


Hope you enjoyed this project and found his story interesting 🤎
Take care and see you soon,
xx
Naama

No comments:

Post a Comment